You are a foreign student and you want to work in France during your linguistic stay in France ?
Here are some answers to questions you might have, to help you find a job in France and in Montpellier during your studies at Accent Français !
What advantages ?
- it allows you to finance part of your stay thanks to the additional income you will receive
- it also allows you to practice your French in a real-life situation and thus improve your language skills by interacting with your colleagues and clients at your workplace
- depending on the student job you find, it will also allow you to add to your CV with professional experience in France
- it will allow you to integrate in Montpellier, to create a network of friends and acquaintances to live totally in the French way
Working in France as a foreign student: am I allowed to work ?
- As a European citizen
- With a VLS - STS student visa or a student-researcher residence permit (see legislation in force)
- With another type of visa (see current legislation)
To learn more about the different types of visas and residence permits, please contact Campus France.
Working as an international student : how many hours am I allowed to work ?
Tu peux travailler pendant tes études jusqu’à 964 heures maximum par an, soit 60 % de la durée totale du temps de travail annuel légal. Cela correspond à 15h/semaine environ.
How to apply for a job / student job / summer job in France ?
- Writing a CV in French: there are many templates and help sites : Mon CV, Modèles de CV, Canva, etc
- Writing a cover letter in French : there are many templates and websites to help you : Canva, Modèles de CV, Pôle emploi
- Target and list the companies to contact (companies, temp agencies, recruitment agencies, etc.)
- Present yourself physically (preferably), by phone or email by giving/sending your application (CV and cover letter)
Where to look for a student job in France ?
- Websites : Jooble, Indeed, CRIJ, L'Etudiant, StudentjoB, etc.
- Interim agencies (Manpower, Crit interim, Adecco...)
- Pôle emploi
- Go directly to places with your CV and ask the manager/salesperson/receptionist
- Place an ad in shops, schools (babysitting, homework help...), etc
Accent Français offers a French + Internship program that allows you to live a professional experience while practicing your French (unpaid internship from 4 to 8 weeks) and maybe lead to a student job ! We also offer a French + Volunteer program that allows you to serve the French community that needs it the most.
Is it easy to find a student job in Montpellier in the South of France ?
Yes, because Montpellier is a student city! There are many jobs available year-round as well as in season (summer) in restaurants, shops, cafés, hotels and other services.
As with everything, with motivation and investment, there is no reason not to find a student job in Montpellier, even with a low level of French!
Here are a few examples of jobs that our students have found: kitchen assistant, waitress in a restaurant, barman, housekeeper for old people's homes, etc!
Montpelier's diversity allows students to practice French in a variety of situations, but also to feel a bit at home thanks to the people of the same nationality they meet at school, in the workplace, at language exchange parties...
Read this article from Campus France to learn more : "Travailler pendant ses études en France".
See you soon,
The Accent Français team.