The levels are defined in relation to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - (CEFR) is a document published by the Council of Europe in 2001, which defines levels of proficiency in a foreign language according to know-how in different areas of competence. These 6 levels are now the reference in the field of language learning and teaching in European countries and particularly for learning French in France.
CEFR levels, the common reference for languages
- Level A1:
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type
- Can introduce themselves and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where they live, people they know and things they have.
- Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
- Level A2:
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of their background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
- Level B1:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
- Level B2;
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialization.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
- Level C1:
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer clauses, and recognize implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
CEFR LEVELS AN EUROPEAN GRID TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL
your progressing path:
- Before arrival: Online written test to guarantee your pre-placement in the group corresponding to your level.
- Upon arrival at Accent Français: Your teacher will evaluate your oral abilities during the first course.
- A weekly evaluation
- An evaluation at the end of each level
- At the end of the program: online level test allows you to evaluate your progress.
If you feel that a level is too easy or too difficult, if you are progressing faster or if you wish to repeat a level, we are here to listen to you and our counselor will work with you to find a solution so that you can change classes the following week. More infos
We can guarantee that you will achieve your learning goals for the number of weeks displayed if:
- You attend all lessons
- You fully participate in all classroom activities and tasks
- You work daily and complete the evaluations.
- You practice speaking French beyond the classroom and use our free exercise platform
We invite new technologies within our classrooms as tools for an enhanced language experience :
an application for your mobile phone or on your computer to exchange with the whole class, receive links and documents, save and drop off exercises, get corrections, scores and feedback on your progress.
FREE LEARNING PLATFORM